Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Small Deed Can Make A Huge Difference!

1 week ago I was still in doubt and confused about how churches desperately take money from people, how churches' wrong approach caused so many people to backslide. A few brothers sisters and myself were also discussing about the doubts and discomfort we have within the church and cell group. That was also the time when I stumbled on my giving, trust and love to the church. Furthermore, it is really sad when I hear people sharing their bad experiences in church, which affect their loyalty to the church, perception towards Christians and even their walk with God. Again, I know that we shall not be blinded by what men do. As a church is run by men, we have to be really focus and only look up upon God and not men.

One day, a sister invited me to serve in the dialect church. I agreed to it without hesitation and the night before I was feeling unwell, troubled by sorethroat and flu. I thought I could not make it this round and sent her a message to inform her. But before I sleep, I declared to God "In Jesus name, I am healed! In Jesus name, I am healed" Amen! The next day I woke up, I was lying on my bed feeling tired and still struggling whether to go or not. I think and think...finally God somehow gave me an "oomph" to get up from my bed and move! Guess what I was feeling so energetic after that. The morning church service by Rev Margaret Court was really awesome. Praise the Lord that many people were truly charged up listening to her sermon! After that I set off with a sister to start the work...

The process is really tiring. First we got to travel to a housing area to gather the elderly; communicate with them, persuade them to attend the church service and then help them get up the bus provided especially the elderly that have problem walking and climbing the stairs. Deep in my heart, I started saluting the sisters who selflessly serve the elderly every Sunday! It was drizzling that day and can you imagine if it's a hot sunny day or a heavy rain day? They still have to keep going! Having to know that most elderly only go for the sake of getting a pack of free rice... is sad... but having to know that what they do every week can make a difference just makes them keep going! As we reached the church, we have to bring the wheelchair elderly to the toilet and to the auditorium. Of course the same process goes after the service. Bringing them back safely to their homes and make sure everyone of them get a pack of rice!

It was my first Chinese service and pastors were preaching in Hokkien and Cantonese. We were praising and worshipping God in Chinese. A little unusual for me but I felt so close to God that moment. When I saw some elderly praying so hard with so much of emotions, so on fire for God... I felt so touched... that I really wanted to cry. Throughout the service I helped an elderly to the toilet and she was just so grateful to me that she kept saying "Thank You! Thank You!" Some elderly shared with me what they work as... and sadly a lot of them are really poor and still work hard even at an old age. One grannie was sharing with me how her sons and daughters abandon her and don't talk to her. She even asked me to be her goddaughter! :) There were so many people serving some attending to the elderly, some guarding the toilets, some even have to stay in the lift to be of service to the elderly anytime they need. Wow!!! Compared to them.. I felt that I am truly a nobody.

The sermon was very good and it really answered all my doubts! I burst into tears and just cried non stop. There and then, I know that whether the people have any bad intentions or not, my giving is still meant to be a blessing to many. And my giving is unto the Lord not the people and my giving will lead more people to be saved. I have to see things in a bigger picture always and I know whenever I can I must really do something for the Lord, for the needy. I was really blessed that day and I know God wanted me to just wake up and go! I don't deserve all His love but yet He loves me so much. I am a nobody compared to so many generous, kind and big hearted people in the world but God still loves me because He has made the difference in you and me for a purpose! Deep within my heart, I know I have made a difference in the elderly lives just within that few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment